Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Using Humor in Your Dating Profile

"Comedy is acting out optimism"

Robin Williams

Every guy wants to be a comedian. Some pull it off quite well, while others fall flat on their face. Still, the benefits outweigh the risks, especially when putting together an online dating profile. Sure, some guys may have to work at this, really work hard, but like I just wrote, it is worth the effort. Here are some reasons:

  1. Lots of people write on profiles that they have a great sense of humor. Really? I can just trust you on this, right? No, when it is put that way, the statement becomes trivial minutia. However, demonstrating humor in a profile has intrinsic value because it is proof.
  2. Humor is associated with intelligence, a trait many women find highly desirable.
  3. A man capable of expressing humor is thought to be someone who is comfortable in his own skin. In other words, he is seen as confident - another trait women seek in men.
  4. Women love to be with men who possess the ability to make them laugh. I have asked numerous dates why they chose to go out with me (besides, of course, my devilish good looks- ha!), and all of them said I made them laugh. All of them, and they were always referring to my profile. Yes, it was important to follow up on the humor in emails and in person; that is another challenge, but the profile is where the ball began rolling.

Humor can be used in many ways. Besides your photo, the headline is the first thing women will see on a profile. A funny headline will grab attention immediately. "Ginger or Mary Ann? How about Lovey?" or "Attention Ladies - I'm looking for a date and I got coupons for Arby's!"

Photo captions can be used effectively as well, but don't try to create funny scenes. Let them come naturally and take advantage when they do. For instance, if you're wearing a football jersey of your favorite player (Ray Lewis for example), say "I taught Ray everything he knows - except that dance of his!"

When writing about things you like to do, make occasional witty comments. For those who enjoy fine dining, add "maybe it's just me, but I'd be pretty ticked off if I were at a fancy Italian restaurant and found out the pasta was made at Pizza Hut!"

Humorous quotes can work really well, especially if you can fit in something from a guy like Einstein. Now you have associated yourself with a brilliant mind, so you have demonstrated the potential for both humor and intelligence with just a few words. No, I'm not putting up an example here. This is where you start doing some work. Go to Google and see what you find; it will be worth the effort.

Some dating advisors caution about placing too much emphasis on humor in a profile, protesting that dating sites are not the place for a comedy audition. They may be correct; however, it has always worked marvelously for me. Sure, some women never understood my humor, but that was a good thing. Most likely, we would not have gotten along anyway. So I believe in going all-in with funny content on a profile. It sets a guy apart dramatically because most men nearly bore women off the internet with their bland, plain vanilla style.

There's more to say about humor and profiles, specifically using stories to amuse and attract. Stay tuned for my next article, where I will also include the essay I have successfully used for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment