Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Singles Epidemic - My Quest to Find Mr Right

It's astonishing to hear that there are now more American women single than ever before. According to a January 2007 New York Times article, 51% of women were living without a spouse. The U.S. Census Bureau reported 43% of all Americans over the age of 18 are single.

It seems like everywhere I turn these days I hear complaints about the arduous task of finding a mate. Everyone is looking for that special someone! So why has it become so difficult to meet people? There are a plethora of challenges that people encounter these days when looking for their mates. For one, people are becoming more career driven than ever before. This economy has affected everything, even dating. It's not feasible to take someone out to a restaurant if you are having a difficult time paying your rent and your bills are piling up.

The type of profession someone has could pose a problem also. Doctors are often on call, which would force them to abruptly interrupt their date. Men and women in the military often find dating challenging since they have to be away from home for long periods of time. Of course each person's unique situation may make dating even grimmer. As men and women reach their 30's and beyond, there is a smaller selection of eligible people to date as many others in their age range have already married or have begun their families. Those who are divorced, widowed, or are single parents are often met with difficulties when venturing out into the dating scene as they are sometimes viewed as having more "complicated" lives.

Single people have turned to various venues to meet fellow singles. Places to meet people have evolved from the workplace and backyard barbecues to the online dating world. According to the Online Dating and Dating Services Facts and Statistics, 17% of couples who married in 2010 met through an online dating site. Dating sites such as Match.com, eHarmony, and Plenty of Fish, have been growing increasingly popular during the recent years. Not to mention social networking sites like Facebook and My Space!

After attending one of my close friend's wedding last summer and finding out that she and her husband met on plentyoffish.com, I decided to test this method out myself. I didn't believe that it was so easy to meet someone until I tried it. After registering and creating a profile, I began searching for Mr. Right. A week later, I was wondering if there was a way to clone myself. One date right after the other! In the first week I had gone out with four different people. I couldn't keep track mentally so I decided to write a journal entry on each date. Within 9 months I had met 24 people. All of my friends persuaded me to write a blog about dating and even told me to post each of my journal entries on the blog. I am doing just that on my new blog, http://thewrongfish.com. This blog is all about my dating adventure and guide to love and relationships.



This article is brought to you by Relationships Advice Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment